Home Monstera Plant Care Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs? Everything You Need to Know

Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs? Everything You Need to Know

by Sylvia Matlock
Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs?

Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs? This is a question that pet owners are asking more and more lately, as the popularity of Monstera plants has exploded. While it is true that all plants contain some level of toxicity, most are not harmful to dogs in small quantities. In this blog post, we will explore the question of whether or not Monstera plants are toxic to dogs and provide you with everything you need to know to keep your furry friend safe!

Are monsteras toxic to dogs?

No, monstera are not toxic to dogs. However, all plants contain some toxicity, so it is essential to keep an eye on your dog if they are eating any plant material. Contact your veterinarian if you are concerned that your dog has eaten a Monstera plant.

While most Monstera plants are not toxic to dogs, there are a few exceptions. The most notable exception is the Monstera deliciosa, the split-leaf philodendron. This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which can cause irritation and swelling in the mouth and throat if ingested.

Besides the split-leaf philodendron, most Monstera plants are not toxic to dogs. However, as with all plants, it is essential to supervise your dog if they are eating any plant material.

is monstera toxic to dogs

What to do if your dog eats monstera plant

You should call your veterinarian if you think your dog ate a Monstera plant. They will be able to advise you on whether or not your dog is at risk and what steps you need to take next. If your dog shows any signs of distress, such as vomiting or difficulty breathing, bring them to the vet immediately.

You might also call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855)764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888)426-4425 for help and guidance, but it’s crucial to know that both programs charge $75 for a consultation.

As was already indicated, your dog won’t likely continue chewing on the plant after taking an exploratory bite because of the discomfort the calcium oxalate crystals will cause. Once a dog has experienced the reaction, they are unlikely to want to try to eat the plant again. The response sets in quickly (approximately 30 seconds), so they are likely to link cause and effect.

To be cautious, it is generally a good idea to relocate the monstera plant out of your dog’s reach even if he has already bitten a plant in the past and is unlikely to try to get at it again.

Symptoms of Toxicity in Dogs

Monstera belongs to the arum family, which includes several other plants that are also toxic to dogs, such as dumb cane, elephant’s ear, and calla lily. If a dog ingests monstera, the symptoms can include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, monstera toxicity can lead to seizures and respiratory failure.

Avoiding Your Dog Eating Your Monstera Plant

How can you prevent your canine family members from accessing your monstera plant?

The optimal strategy combines deterrents, training, and barriers. Here are some tips to try and successfully keep your dog eating monstera plant.

Training

Using positive reinforcement can help you prevent your dog from eating your plants.

Reward your dog with a small treat and some quick playtime when they ignore the monstera plant or come to you when you call them away from it. This teaches your dog to obey your commands and that things are better when they are far away from the monstera plant.

Distractions

Distractions your dog with toys or treats, so they are not as likely to chew on your plant. Try offering a wide range of chew toys, including those your dog might need to solve a few puzzles to enjoy. When you can hide treats within certain toys, your dog will be occupied for a while as they figure out how to get them out.

Ensure your dog gets enough play and exercise to control their energy and keep them engaged and active without chewing on your monstera.

Deterrents

You can employ all-natural deterrents to make your plant less alluring to your dog if training and distraction fail (or even as an extra precaution).

Many of these deterrents can be great at making your monstera smell terrible to dogs (but completely fine to people)!

Try putting some lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit peels in the soil or rubbing a little citrus essential oil on the poTraining your dogt’s rim because most pets detest the scent of citrus fruits. Another option is to try misting the plant with water that has a little lemon juice in it. Although you might not enjoy the fragrance, vinegar and citronella can help deter your dog from tampering with your plant.

The fantastic pet deterrent spray made by Nature’s Miracle is another product you may use to keep your dog away from the plant (but avoid spraying it directly on the plant).

Other plants that are unsafe for dogs

In addition to monstera, several other common houseplants are toxic to dogs. These include philodendrons, dieffenbachias, and caladiums. All these plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat. If ingested in large quantities, they can also lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.

As a result, it’s essential to keep these plants out of reach of dogs (and children) at all times. Other plants that are poisonous to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, oleanders, and sago palms. These plants contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, and collapse. If ingested, they can even be fatal. As such, it’s crucial to be aware of the potential dangers posed by these plants before bringing them into your home.

FAQ: Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs?

Q: Are monsteras toxic to humans?

A: No, most Monstera plants are not toxic to humans. However, all plants contain toxicity, so washing your hands after handling any plant material is essential. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you are concerned that you may have ingested any part of this plant.

Q: Are monstera poisonous to cats?

A: The answer may surprise you. Although Monstera are not toxic to cats, they can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested. Symptoms may include vomiting and diarrhea. Read more about monstera poisonous to cats at https://dignursery.com/is-calathea-toxic-to-cats/.

Q: Are monsteras poisonous to horses

The plant is not considered poisonous to horses, although it can cause stomach upset if consumed in large quantities. The ASPCA lists the plant as non-toxic to horses, dogs and cats. However, the sap from the leaves can cause skin irritation in some people. If your horse ingests the plant, watch for signs of stomach upset such as colic or diarrhea. If you notice any changes in your horse’s health, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Q: Are monsteras poisonous to birds?

The answer is yes. They can be. The sap of the plant contains toxins that can cause gastrointestinal upset in birds, and the sharp leaves can also cause injury. However, it is essential to note that not all birds are affected similarly by monsteras. Some species are more resistant to the toxins than others, and some birds may only suffer from mild gastrointestinal symptoms, while others may experience more severe reactions. In addition, some birds may be more attracted to the plant than others, so it is essential to consider the individual bird’s species and personality when deciding whether or not to keep a monstera in the home.

Q: Are monsteras poisonous to fish?

The answer, however, is not so simple. While the plants are not toxic to fish, the roots can release chemicals that can harm aquatic life. In addition, monsteras leaves can release toxins when they decompose, polluting the water and threatening fish populations. As a result, it is essential to exercise caution when keeping monsteras close to fish tanks or ponds.

So, are monsteras toxic to dogs? No, most Monstera plants are not harmful to dogs. However, all plants contain some level of toxicity, and so it is essential to keep an eye on your dog if they are eating any plant material. Contact your veterinarian if you are concerned that your dog has eaten a Monstera plant. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts